Ballarat Highlanders Rugby Club statement regarding St Patrick’s College and their cancellation of the Rugby Union program.
By now you will have heard either directly or indirectly that St.Pats have issued a statement stating that their Rugby program has now ceased. This is obviously disappointing to all of our players who have been part of that program and Mike Silcock in particular who has been instrumental in establishing St. Pats as a rugby powerhouse in the state over the last seven years.
However, the important thing now is that we offer a lifeline to those boys and their parents who are understandably devastated by this decision.
Therefore, I would appeal to all parents, boys involved in the program to reach out to me directly as Ballarat Highlanders Club President so we continue your involvement/rugby career here in Ballarat as part of our club.
Season Launch Wrap-Up
G’day all, thank you for all that came out to celebrate our 2019 Season Launch.
It was a very successful evening with our Playing Members receiving their game day apparel as well as raising funds for our club through the meat raffle, sales of Club Polos and the $10 entry fee for the evening.
We would like to thank all the volunteers for their efforts to ensure the night was as smooth as possible.
We would also like to thank the Red Lion Hotel for hosting us and providing finger food for those in attendance.
This event has helped the club set the scene for our next big event, the Ballarat Highlanders RUFC Gala Day. This event brings together all the hard work in the off season to start the year off with a bang.
There will be activities and clinics for women and children with the day reaching a peak at 3pm for the Men’s game between Ballarat Highlanders and Melton Warriors. This is a fierce rivalry, with the two teams having played off in the 2016 Championship Grand Final.
It promises to be an exciting day so if you are interested please for the link to the event.
A Preseason and Progression Update
We are really getting into the working end of the pre-season training sessions. Time for a recap.
1. We are consistently getting good numbers with a peak attendance of 30 participants.
2. Over the Tuesday and Thursdays we are seeing about 21 – 23 faces with those that cant attend on Thursday are getting there on Tuesday and vice versa.
3. Each player has been provided with a professional, personalised training programme (which we hope you are following).
4. Full physio and Chiro support has been provided.
5. All players have access to advice from Danielle, our qualified dietician.
6. The first fixture is at home vs Melton on the 27th of April.
7. Registered players are now engaged in ‘contact’ training.
8. New kit arrives at the end of March!!
9. The playing group are showing fantastic commitment on the training park. Well done lads!!
Just a reminder to pay your registration. Its important and there are various ways to do this to alleviate the impact of a lump sum payment!
For those that are still interested in playing, its not too late. You are more than welcome to come down and join in the best pre-season we have had in years.
Looking forward to the 2019 Season!
Christmas Barefoot Bowls, 2nd December
Post AGM Wrap Up
Following the AGM on Saturday 18th August, a new committee was elected to lead the club into 2019.
Pat Quigley becomes the new President. In accepting the post, Pat set out his vision for the future of Ballarat Rugby Club:
“We will build the club, we will move forward with a greater presence and we will become a place that embraces families and all levels of society, so that rugby in Ballarat can grow, and Ballarat Rugby Club will be at the heart of it.”